Cauliflower Mash with Millet
By Karen Brennan, MSW, NC, BCHN ®, Herbalist
While many think of millet as a grain it is actually a seed. For that reason, I wonder if it should be included in the paleo diet plan. This is a twist on cauliflower rice. This recipe was also very simple and quick to make.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 1 T. avocado oil
- 1 c. diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 c millet
- ½ of a head of cauliflower, chopped (I used an entire small head of cauliflower)
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth or bone broth (more on hand as needed) I added about another 1/2 cup.
- 1 T. nutritional yeast (optional but a good protein and B vitamin boost)
- Dash pepper/salt
- ¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- In a large pot over medium high heat, warm the avocado oil and sauté the onion and garlic with the salt for about 5 minutes
- Add in the millet, cauliflower, broth and dash salt. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 40 minutes stirring regularly and until the millet is cooked through and the liquid has been absorbed. This should have a creamy consistency. Add more broth if needed
- Use a potato masher to break up any of the cauliflower as need. At this point you can leave out the nutritional yeast or add it in and add salt and pepper to your taste.
- Add the cilantro and serve.
If you are sick and tired of feeling sick, tired, fatigued, depressed, anxious and more and have given up hope then Karen’s simple, effective, individualized and sustainable approach may be what you need.
Karen Brennan, MSW, CNC, Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Herbalist is the author of Tru Foods Depression Free Nutrition Guide; How Food Supplements and herbs can be used to lift your mood and owner of Tru Foods Nutrition Services, LLC.
For more information visit www.trufoodsnutrition.com
As a nutrition professional, Karen does not treat, cure nor diagnose. This information is for educational purposes only.